Flash's Quick Apple Crisp (1981) ★★★★★

Apple crisp is probably my favourite dessert. So naturally I had to try this cute little recipe I came across. It's from a 1981 DC comics themed cookbook.



Original Recipe:


The Verdict:

I honestly thought this would be a disaster. I thought the apples would stick to my pie pan, I thought the crust would be too greasy and taste too strongly of nutmeg. But I was wrong! This was actually delicious. The topping is so simple, but still tasty. It was a tiny bit too much butter, but not so much that it ruined it. It does not make very much though, I could honestly eat the entire thing myself...Not that I did. I swear! I will probably still stick to my own apple crisp methods (which aren't so different from this really, aside from the spices and that I always use oats in the topping), but this is still great - five stars great! Mr. Man even said it was one if his favourite crisps ever. Oh, and I used 5 apples and the topping barely covered them, but it is quite sweet, so it was enough. Using a smaller, but deeper dish to bake in would probably make sure the apples are covered completely.

Modernized Recipe:

(Adapted from DC Super Heroes Super Healthy Cookbook, found at Branded in the 80s)

4 - 5 APPLES
3/4 cup FLOUR
3/4 cup BROWN SUGAR
1/2 teaspoon CINNAMON
1/2 teaspoon NUTMEG
Pinch of SALT
1/3 cup UNSALTED BUTTER, melted

1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Peel and slice the apples and place them in a pie pan.
3. In a small microwave-proof bowl, melt the butter. Add the flour, sugar, and spices and mix well.
4. Pour the topping onto the apples and spread evenly. Bake for about 30 minutes. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Really?! Recipes inside comic books?! Who knew?! LOL (not me, that's for sure) Seriously, though, it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have used this recipe for years, lost my tattered copy. So happy to find it here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will probably still stick to my own apple crisp methods.
    meet and greet Manchester

    ReplyDelete