Orange Mallow Frost (1974) ★★★

Can you believe that this is actually the first gelatin recipe I've posted on this blog?! I'm not a huge fan of jello, mostly because of the fake taste and artificial coloring. I could never be as brave as the people who make chicken mousse or lemon vegetable salad with gelatin - ick!
But I do make exceptions every now and then. I had some marshmallows that needed to be used and I thought this recipe sounded kind of yummy, actually.

Original Recipe:
1 3-oz. pkg. orange-flavored gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 pint orange sherbet
1 11-oz. can manderin orange segments, drained
2 cups Kraft Miniature Marshmallows or 20 Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add sherbet; stir until dissolved. Chill until almost set; fold in fruit and marshmallows (quarter Jet-Puffed Marshmallows directly into gelatin using scissors dipped in water). Fill 6 dessert dishes; chill until firm. Garnish with additional mandarin orange slices and mint, if desired. Makes 6 servings.

Variations:
Substitute 1 cup ginger ale for sherbet.
Substitute one of the following for the orange gelatin and sherbet:
lime gelatin and sherbet
lemon gelatin and sherbet
raspberry gelatin and sherbet

The Verdict:
This dessert tastes like orange creamsicle! I wouldn't make this myself, but it was tasty, so I would eat it voluntarily. I liked the freshness of the mandarins, but there were too many marshmallows, especially for that sweet of a gelatin. I would cut the number of marshmallows in half. Mr. Man, on the other hand, spat this out in the sink because of the "soggy marshmallows". I didn't really find them soggy (they were a bit wet of course, but nowhere near soggy or liquified). He did like the gelatin with the oranges, however. I'm giving three stars for average, because it needed tweaking and I wouldn't want to make this myself or eat it very often. It reminds me of something you eat once a year at a summer barbecue.

Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from Kraft found at Hey, My Mom Used to Make That!)

The original recipe is easy to follow.



Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

0 comments: