Oatmeal and Peanut Pudding (1918) ★★★

This recipe is pretty healthy - it could be dessert or breakfast!


Original Recipe:
2 cups cooked oatmeal
1 cup sliced apple
1 cup peanuts
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix and bake in greased dish for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold. This is a very nourishing dish.


The Verdict:
I thought this would be really good...clearly I have no luck with puddings. First off, it was kind of mushy. I mean, it was oatmeal-texture, but I was expecting something firmer, like a baked oatmeal bar. The taste was okay, edible, but I really didn't like the peanuts in there. The raisins were so-so. I think using peanut butter or pulverized peanuts would have been much better. Also, it needed more cinnamon and maybe some vanilla. I won't make this again. I gave this 3 stars, which I think was generous, but I think some people might not find this as offensive as I did.

Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from Foods That Will Win the War and How to Cook Them)

Follow the original recipe, but add spices to taste and bake at 350F.


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, porridge with crunchy bits. Nope, don't think I'll be making this one...

    ReplyDelete