Banana Pancakes (1920) ★★★

Banana pancakes! Something about that phrase is just fun to say. Anyway, I had some reeeeally ripe bananas and thought this would be a fun recipe to make. It seemed so easy too, with only 7 ingredients.


Original Recipe:
1 cup of crushed bananas
1 cup of milk
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 tablespoons of syrup
2 tablespoons of shortening
1 egg
2 teaspoons of baking powder

Beat to mix and then bake in the usual manner on a well-greased smoking hot frying pan.


The Verdict:
I got 6 pancakes about the size of my hand with the fingers spread all the way out. I was kind of excited about these, because they smelled really good while I was cooking them. But for some reason they tasted a bit gross. Like something a bit metallic. I'm not sure why - if it was the recipe or my ingredients. I'm not sure what would be wrong with the recipe though. This recipe is very similar to the first recipe that comes up on a Google search for "banana pancakes". This makes me say it's worth a try. Little Y didn't seem to mind anyway, but of course she's not very picky.

Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from Mrs. Wilson's Cook Book)

The original recipe is easy to follow. About two bananas equals 1 cup of mashed. For "syrup" I used maple syrup, but I would guess honey or agave would work well too. I also substituted butter for shortening. Make sure you add the baking powder right before frying, so that the leavening is still active. 

Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the metallic taste was the baking powder?

    I agree the proportions don't seem very different from other pancake recipes, but I can't think of anything else it would be. We often add sliced or mashed bananas to our pancakes and they taste okay! Maybe try 1 tsp baking powder if you make them again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, seems like its possible in aluminum baking powder, but my baking powder is aluminum-free, so it shouldn't taste metallic. A mystery!

      Delete