Hurry Ups (1919) ★★★

This recipe was under "Cookies", but it seemed sort of breakfasty to me, so I included it under that category as well ;)
I thought the name was kind of unique, but apparently it's truthful, because these took maybe 20 minutes for prep and baking!



Original Recipe:

The Verdict:
SO SALTY. I don't know why on earth this recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of salt, but it is way too much! My cookies were totally ruined :(. I think without the salt (or with maybe a tiiiny pinch), these would have been delicious, so I was very sad. Anyway, since it's just one ingredient, I'll disregard it and give the recipe three stars, because I truely think these would have been good.

Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from The International Jewish Cook Book)

1 cup FLOUR, sifted
2 teaspoons BAKING POWDER
A pinch of SALT
1 cup ROLLED OATS
1 tablespoon SUGAR
2 tablespoons BUTTER, melted
1/2 cup MILK
RAISINS or DATES
BUTTER or HONEY or MAPLE SUGAR

1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, oats, and sugar.
3. Stir in the melted butter and the milk until well combined.
4. Using a teaspoon, your hands, or a small ice cream scoop, make small, even balls. These don't spread at all, so you can fit quite a few on one sheet. Gently flatten the tops with a fork or the back of the spoon and press in the raisins or dates. Makes about 15 small cookies.
5. Bake cookies for 5 - 7 minutes. Serve with butter, honey, or maple sugar.


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

0 comments: