Rhubarb Shortcake (1920) ★★★★★

Here's another rhubarb recipe, this time a take on the classic strawberry shortcake!

Original Recipe:
Ingredients
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup of sugar
6 tablespoons of shortening
2/3 cup of milk
Instructions
Place flour in a bowl and add salt, baking powder, and sugar. Sift to mix and then rub in shortening. Mix to a dough with milk. Cut with a large cookie cutter and then bake in a hot oven for fifteen minutes. Split and butter, and then fill with the cooked rhubarb and serve with either plain or whipped cream or custard sauce.


The Verdict:
Mr. Man REALLY loved the cakes - even by themselves. I think he ate like five of them while I was busy taking photos. With the rhubarb is really nice, but overdoing the whipped cream could easily make it too rich. Also, my cakes were not tall or fluffy enough. I think it might be because I substituted butter for shortening? This was my first time making shortcakes actually, so I was just pleased that they were edible. Regardless of presentation, these were yummy and I would definitely make and eat them again!

Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from Mrs. Wilson's Cook Book)

The original recipe is easy enough to follow. To make the cooked rhubarb, just simmer some chopped rhubarb with a small amount of water and sugar to taste.


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Im pinning this one for sure! I think the use of butter had something to do with your biscuits not rising all the way. I have a biscuit recipe that produces flat but still moist and delicious biscuits because I dont use shortening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure the butter was the culprit. I really ought to get some shortening haha..

      Delete
  2. Here is the answer to all of your shortcake dreams. It's going to blow your mind.

    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/05/strawberry-shortcakes/

    ReplyDelete